12/10/13

Winter....?

I was reminded today of how differently my life now is....

Gone are the days of ordering a hot chocolate from a random bodega because your hands are literally going to fall off before you can make it underground to warm them. Gone are the days of putting on my snow boots and trekking out to Central Park with Scott to make snow angels and snow forts, while trying to also make friends with random children in hopes that they would let me use their sleds on the hills within. Snow days off were a gift from Bloomberg, as he almost never called them, but when he did, we'd sleep in, waking up only to stare at the millions of tiny snowflakes falling down around a city filled with lights that had gone strangely dim in the storms. It was cozy. It was beautiful. But being realistic, it was also hard. Trains would shut down leaving you stuck. The power would go out often, leaving us in our tenth floor apartment debating on whether or not dinner was actually important enough that night to walk down, and, worst of all, back up, the many flights of stairs we had. Usually, we'd just have peanut butter and jelly while hoping that our elevator would come back on by morning. Lazy. When I was pregnant, Scott began walking me in the snow to our subway, sometimes tag teaming with my girlfriend Mehren who would meet me on the other side at the 57th st stop to walk me to our school where we both taught. Good girl, that one. Miss her. But all of these things are no more.

Here is what my day looked like today, December the 10th, in Florida:





 Also, here is the view from Santa's Sled. I'm kind of a big deal. And...no comment on why a reindeer in the front was shortly after knocked over, then unable to be rested properly back up in the standing position, so is now being held up by two large sticks, like a teepee with a reindeer in the middle...no comment on that all... 


Five weeks and counting until I can return to my crazy, snow covered city of lights and dreams. Even if it''ll just be for a long (child free) weekend, it's enough.

No comments: