4/27/08

10th Floor of an old folks home.

Scott and I have settled into our new home. It's a medium sized studio, but has amazing views, the best kitchen we've had to date, and is surrounded by friends. Not a day goes by that we do not see someone that we know.
The big thing that we failed to mention, is that we are living in a building formerly used for Senior Housing. Tons of seniors still live here-there is even a cafeteria, pool table, and games section towards the back of our lobby, and every month, a van comes to take them on outings. It's funny, I thought they would hate us. The building is just now going through the phase where they turn it into normal housing, hence Scott and I being able to snag a spot, but it's been the opposite. They love us. I've made friends with a lady named Dolores, who rides in her wheelchair and makes jokes all day, and there is a friendly guy on our floor, who introduces himself to me every time we meet. I brought a friend over from work one day to show her the space, and two guys were having wheelchair races in the lobby. Nothing says welcome to my new home, friend, like that. One of them then drove into the elevator with us and told us to look out for his cherry red wheelchair-apparently it's his secret weapon that he only brings out on good days. Two other senior men were bickering by the mailboxes when Scott and I went to check our box-they were calling each other names like scum and ugly. I love it. We live in a 24-7 comedy house.
Here is our space. For the next year, maybe more, it'll be home.








7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, your place looks great. Such a change since we saw it a couple of weeks ago. I think you will really enjoy the relaxed pace of the island, yet in just a few minutes you can be in the "big city". Very happy all has worked out well. My best to Dolores. Love you guys, Dad

Hank and Annella said...

This is terrific! We're so glad you posted the pictures. It looks safe and homey.
Love,
Mom & Hank

Anonymous said...

I just looked at your pictures. Your apartment looks really nice! Everything fits. You also have a terrific view. Enjoy!
Love, Louise

Unknown said...

Kewl window! Nice countertops and floors, too.

MomD said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Can't wait to meet some of your old friends. ;)

Kallie Brynn said...

It looks great! I hope we get to see this one!! Hah...we'll see...
Much love!
Kallie

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that your carpet is clean! It looks larger then your 1st studio so that's exciting!! Great views and I do LOVE old people. They are amazing and have such great stories. Can't wait to see the place.