8/10/13

The Past

All morning today was spent in memories from my past. I had a great childhood-had almost everything that I could've ever wanted, including great life-long friends. The kids in my neighborhood area that I grew up with were a tad on the rocky side of life, minus one, but the kids in my church (Lake Carroll Baptist) were a different story. The bad thing was, all of these friends of mine never went to the same schools as I did growing up, so, until I earned my driver's license, I was resigned to seeing them only twice a week and on special occasions. I never had a date to my own high-school events, but to our rival high-school I did due to these friends. I could've been so much more popular had I just gotten special assignment....because popularity matters, right? This morning I went to one of these sweet friend's parents homes for a birthday party of her 4 year old son. Watching my kid swim in the exact same pool that we all grew up in was...surreal. We stood around and laughed at how far we've all come, yet how little we feel the time has passed. I guess how that's how life goes. Quickly.

The Stratton's Pool

That slide...I know every part of it by heart.

After the party, I quickly rushed to the other side of town to see another great lifelong friend that was only in town for a few hours. It's been 7 years since I have last seen Melody, my first ever Best Friend. NOTHING in this girl has changed. Her heart and her attitude/outlook on life are still just as beautiful as ever. We laughed while our parents told us stories of our growing up-mostly how poor we all were when our families were just starting out and how this caused them to raise us in ways that didn't cost much. I get it. When your kids are small and one parent stays home, it's tough financially. These are the poor years, but as I am learning, the sacrifice is well worth it. Also, apparently, I was a little whiner. Who knew......ahem.

Melzy
My mom and the Taylors
       





No comments: